What is the lost Industry?
- Craft as Art, original pieces that are designed and made by named individuals and exhibited on exhibitions in galleries.
- Unesco support this notion in terms of preservation of the culture
- Craft seems to relate to the market of souvenirs (Travel mementoes, with a strong link to tourism
- This scenario should be the sole domain of the Department of Art and Culture
- The market for the products made in this sector, typically have local appeal, namely: tourists
- Limited job creation potential
- This enterprise sector is the biggest rural employer in developing countries, bigger than tourism, agriculture and service
- Unctad (United Nations Conference on Trade and Development)
- Handicraft is the manufacturing of hand-made products for export to suit various markets. Made by artisans in a production line process
- This should be the domain of DTI, Dept Small Business, Dept Science and Technology, Dept Higher Education and Dept Labour
- The products produces have huge export potential if made well to suit global fashion trends
- Massive job creation potential
This issue has rarely been debated as the craft as art and cultural handicraft sector is dominated by the DAC and Arts community and thus the enterprise potential has been suppressed, either by design or by default. Either way with the official unemployment rate of 29%, this cannot be allowed to continue.as art